Monday 24 March 2008

Easter Weekend








Hi there, I just thought I'd post some pictures of what I got up to Easter weekend.
I decided that I wanted to try my hand at making a churburg style breastplate, for my wife and I wanted to see if I could do it all with out making a pattern just seeing if I had got my eye in for the 4 dimensions that armour needs to be.
The plates have rolled edges and the main part of the plates covered in a soft dark chocolate brown leather, with brass rivets. And the straps are all out of a nice burgundy leather.
There is still some bits that need going onto it as I did start to cast the v-shaped adornment in bronze but I cast the ends to thin and they split when I tried to drill the rivet holes.
Now I know that its a variation on a theme that the churburg is only depicted in plain plate, but at the period there are plenty of covered armours so I took a bit of artistic licence here(so please forgive me).